Monday, June 27, 2016

My Unfair Advantage

Social Capital:


1) Claude
-V: Claude's input and advice was invaluable to me. He advised me on how to design my product, how to seek a patent, how to word my application for a patent, etc.
-R: Claude is a rare commodity in that he teaches engineering and entrepreneurship and has created products with patents and sold them before. I don't know many other people who have done that.
-I: Anyone could imitate this if they found a similarly qualified person.
-N: There is no way I would have learned as much from Claude as I did from anyone else or my own research. He couldn't be substituted.
2) John
-V: I need a person with technology and programming skills to move forward with my product. John has those skills and experiences.
-R: Computer and software programmers are not that rare.
-I: Most people with a computer programming degree could imitate this skillset
-N: By skill set alone, he is easily substitutable.
3) Jonathan
-V: Jonathan is constantly around pilots and trying to improve their lives, and pilots would generally trust him if he were to offer up a new product or advice on a product.
-R: He is the only airport manager I know, so to me he is rare.
-I: If someone was able to find an airport manager, they could  imitate his value.
-N: Because I do not know any other people in his position, I would argue he is not substitutable.
4) Jordan
-V: Jordan would have value in endorsing my product. As a flight instructor, his concern is safety and he said if the product improved safety he would definitely endorse it.
-R: Flight instructors are not rare at all so I could easily find more endorsers.
-I: Anyone could endorse anyone's product, flight instructor or not. Easily imitable.
-N: He is easily substituted for any other instructor. The more the better though.
5) Kelsey: Kelsey is also a flight instructor so her VRIN is the same as Jordan
6) Will: Will is also a flight instructor so his VRIN is the same as Jordan and Kelsey.


Human Capital:


7)Work Ethic
-V: A strong work ethic is extremely valuable today. Companies need people who can grind out their work and push things through and make things happen.
-R: Among young people, I am seeing a lack of work ethic in the majority of them.
-I: It can be imitated, but it is not something that changes overnight.
-N: It cannot be substituted. Without a strong work ethic, the product would be mediocre, if it was ever even created.
8) Flying Knowledge
-V: This is pretty valuable to my product. I need to know what the problem is and what new problems could arise from it that I'd need to solve.
-R: Most pilots would have the same knowledge base as me, varying based on experience.
-I: Easily imitable
-N: Not substitutable at all. Without the knowledge, I could not make this product happen.
9) People-Skills
-V: These are not so valuable to my product. They are only useful after my product is on the market.
-R: Several people have great people-skills.
-I: Easily copied, possibly even easily faked.
-N: I could still envision myself being successful without these.
10) Ability to Test Device
-V: I can firsthand test out the glitches in my product and what problems might be caused. I don't have to rely on an expert's opinion.
-R: I could find other pilot's to do it if I needed to.
-I: Only other pilots would have the ability to test their product, non-pilots would have to hire someone.
-N: Not having this would be like a chef not being able to taste his food. You would not be able to know if it is up to your standards.


My most important resource is Claude. He can mentor me through the entrepreneurial process and has given me advice, articles to read, and resources to use going forward in the process. There is a very strong chance I will continue with this idea after the class ends and Claude is one of the main people pushing and helping me.





1 comment:

  1. Hi Tyler. I think you did a great job of finding your most valuable resource and honing in on him. I think it is someone you should focus on in your beginning stages. Additionally, your human capital resources, such as your experience and knowledge, will play a large role in how successful you will become. It seems like something you love so I say follow Claude and make it happen!

    ReplyDelete